USA Visa Application – Student Visa


Q: What´s an I-2o and do I need one?

A: An I-20 is a form that the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory uses to prove to the U.S. government that you are eligible to get a student visa.


Q: What type of visa do I need to attend the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory?

A: You will need an F1 visa in order to study at the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory.


Q: How does the student visa application process work?

A: In order to apply for a visa, you´ll have to download the I-2o application. After that you´ll have to fill out the I-20 application and send it back to us. The next step is to provide proof of funds available to pay for living costs in Los Angeles and the tuition fees. Once you have submitted all the required documents for the I-20 and we have accepted you to attend our program, we will send you the I-20 certificate by mail.


Q: What do I have to do after I have received my I-20?

A: In order to obtain an F-1 or M-1 visa, you must complete the DS-160 Visa Application and make an appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for a visa interview. At this interview, they will decide whether to issue you a visa.


Q: What kind of questions will come up at the interview?

A: At the interview, you will be required to provide evidence of your ability to pay for your tuition and living expenses for the duration of your stay in the US. You are also required to show evidence of ties to your country to prove that you are not planning to immigrate, such as family ties, residence, job or school and that you will return to your home country after you have completed your program. You must have plans to return home after completion of studies. Any mention of intent to live or work in the U.S. can disqualify you getting a visa. Of course, sometimes plans change but when you are interviewed, you must be expecting to return home, so think about what your next steps will be—whether seeking work or continuing your education. You may also be asked why you are choosing to study at our school and how you will use the training when you return home.

Subjects that may come up during your visa interview:

  • Any previous travel to the U.S.
  • Your close relatives (parents, siblings) and their travel to the U.S.
  • Your academic background, any other schools you applied to
  • Who is your sponsor
  • What is your parent’s salary
  • Do you have any loans
  • How will you pay for each year of study
  • Explain any recent deposits of a large amount of money into your account
  • Why do you want to study in the U.S. and what you expect to do upon your return home


Q: Do Canadians need a visa to come to the U.S.?

A: Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a student visa in order to study at the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory. However, you do need a student status in order to enter the United States. To enter the US in F-1 status you need the I-20 Certificate, proof of Canadian citizenship and financial documents that prove you have the funds available to pay for your tuition and living expenses.


Q: What are the estimated living costs per month?

A: Students should expect a range of costs in housing (on average between $850 – $1500 per month for a studio or one-bedroom), depending on the location, size, apartment complex, amenities and length of stay. Additionally you´ll need approximately $900 to cover your expenses for food, your cell phone and transportation per month.


Q: What is the grace period?

A: F1 students can enter the U.S. up to thirty days prior to their start of the program and can stay in the U.S. for an additional sixty days after completing their program at our acting conservatory Los Angeles.


Q: Am I able to transfer my I-2o to the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory if I´m currently studying in the U.S.?

A: F1 students are able to transfer their I-20 to the Los Angeles Acting Conservatory. Students with an M1/J1 visa should contact the acting conservatory in order to receive some more advice. If you are unsure about your visa situation, please contact the acting school in order to discuss your particular situation.


For more information on visas and to locate a Consular office and view the student visa appointment times, please click here.